Throwback Thursday #6

30 weeks! I made it! Baby A is weighing in at 2lbs 15oz and Baby B is weighing in at 3lbs exact. They grew, but the MFM wasn’t really impressed by the gain and he made it a point to discuss IUGR and SGA complications. While my 28 week labor scare had led me to make a labor plan, I was thrown another curve ball at 30+5weeks. This could have been the boys final eviction at 32 weeks, but alas, I came up 9 days short. This time I had told Scott it didn’t feel “real” and to stay home…little did I know at that point that my feeling was very wrong. I made it to the hospital late Saturday night early Sunday morning; both my MFM and my OB were supposed to be called IMMEDIATELY if it was for my delivery….but that was only after 32weeks. So no one was called and I saw the on-call. A scary prospect for me, considering the last on-call left me to suffer. So after an hour drive, an hour of trying to let Scott know I was in actual labor, and an hour of waiting on the on-call I was exhausted. Then the ball finally got rolling, the Neonatologist, on-call MFM, on-call OB, NICU nurses and Paramedics were all standing by. If I delivered now the boys would be taken flight-for-life into Milwaukee’s level 4 NICU equip to handle tiny tiny babies. I met with doctors over the next few hours while I was given shot after shot and pumped with drugs to stop the labor. Two full days later the regular contractions of labor had subsided. Just shy of 4cm and fully effaced the medication had inhibited the ability of the contractions to dilate me. But, I still felt like I was just waiting for the babies to fall out. Now I was faced with having to stay until I was ready to deliver, my doctors were concerned because labor would now go VERY fast. Yet the drive to my hospital was VERY far, leaving little time for the C-section I needed, since both were Breech. We agreed that I would wait through the next 24 hours to make sure the contractions and any hints of labor were gone. With much persuasion, I was released on Tuesday, with a new full time job none the less, or at least that’s what it felt like! I would make the trek to see a doctor 3 times per week! I had what seemed like MASS amounts of NonStress Tests (NST’s), growth scans and fluid checks. Even the front desk staff at the sprawling complex that is Aurora Summit, knew me by name.
I left the hospital and went home to sleep…only sleep never came. I had been having intense pain over my right ribcage and tingling sensations in my legs. Feeling a little delirious after the events of the last few days I took a bath, took some Tylenol and willed myself to sleep…2 hours later I was WIDE awake. After doing all that I could think of to quell the fury of a pregnant lady that cant sleep, I again called the doctor. Now on heightened alert she had me come in, though by this time it was early morning business hours. I was tested for Pre-eclampsia, fFn and an BPP was done. While there my leg had another episode and I was informed that its called “restless leg” and that eliminating caffine, sugars, and allergy medication can help reduce it. As for the pain in my ribcage-what I was feeling was the muscles separating from my ribcage-a lovely thing. The BPP(Biophysical profile) scores were dropping and the OB warned labor was VERY close, I now left my hospital bag in the car.
In light of the happenings of the last few days my OB said she would be shocked if I made it to my scheduled 36 week C-section on April 19th. My MFM was even less excitable, saying that he would have delivered during the previous labor debacle due to the IUGR. But, at the end of the day it was best for them to stay in as long as possible and so with a Negative fFn and no Pre-eclampsia I continued to waddle about my daily life.

31 weeks ID boys

Daily Life

Throwback Thursday #3

17 weeks; it was finally my next appointment! I went in with a lists of questions and ended with a handful of answers. I quickly found that the nurses and doctor were more interested in clamoring around the pictures of twins “holding hands” on the mini-ultrasound machine, than addressing my concerns. Of my questions I was told that our boys were probably “momo,” and that I didn’t need to see a specialist until at the earliest 24 weeks. While google had not been my friend in the start, it did at least provide me with some good information. Namely how WRONG this doctor was.
I talked with Scott, we re-read some of the studies on identical twins “momo” as well as “modi” (monochorionic diamniotic) and decided it was time to find a new OB. I was now in panic mode…I again went to work trying to find an OB I liked but this time I was also trying to find a Maternal Fetal Medicine specialist “MFM”. 3 weeks of research and I found a specialist, downside, he was in Milwaukee(almost 2hours away), only worked M-W-F and was booked for 4 weeks! Not wanting to waste any more time, I called OB’s that I knew worked with him and took first available appointment.
At 20 weeks I went in and met with the new OB; she only had a chance to scan my file and I filled her in on what they had said to me. She asked who the MFM I was seeing was to get the rest of my files…silence, I was so angry… I think she could tell because she cringed with the next statement. I needed to have a few more tests done…for what you might ask…?? cervical cancer. YUUUP. My first OB had failed to tell me she’d done the test, let alone that it came back abnormal. I sat in the chair for a moment, it must be a mistake, I said lets just redo the test and moved on. Throwback Thursday
I told her I wanted Wigton as my MFM; that I realized the long wait time to see him but he was who I wanted. With the understanding that I would be admitted at 24 weeks as per hospital policy to have constant monitoring for “momo” twins, she filled out a form, told me to take it two suites to the left and make my next appointments. I scheduled an appointment with the OB for retesting in 3 days and a recheck “the day after the soonest available appointment with Wigton.” Her form ended up being a “special request” to get me in sooner, so I was scheduled to see the MFM at 22 weeks and the OB 4 days later.
At this point Scott and I were forced to announce even though we were still really unsure of what any of this meant for us. After asking all of our coworkers, friends and family if they wanted to meet their new nephew, cousin, grandbaby etc. We would pause, when they stopped with their excitement, then we would ask if they wanted to meet his brother. Most-excited-to-get-the-news went to Scotts Uncle Mike, Scott said he was surprised he didn’t drop the phone!
This was probably one of the more stressful waiting times for me during pregnancy, I had to wait 2 weeks to find out if I had one of the most risky twin pregnancies and if I would be on hospitalized bed rest at 24 weeks and if I would deliver at 32 weeks!
Here are some links to studies and sites I found helpful at this point in my twin pregnancy
*not all are informative but sometimes its nice to read other peoples experiences,,,,
and the best book by far was What to expect when you’re expecting twins triplets or quads! It had proper nutrition, tips, stories and links for even more info! find it here

Throwback Thursday #2

We left off at our 13 week ultrasound, after finding out it was Identical twin boys. On our drive home we told a few close family members but decided not to “announce” until I had passed 20 ish weeks. I was so glad to have waited so Scott could be with me plus at that point he had to drive home;) Of course when I got home I frantically googled everything the tech said to me. Identical twins, mono amniotic mono chlorionic(momo), facts/statistics….WORST.CHOICE.EVER… I wasnt prepared to see the risks associated with twin pregnancy, let alone “momo”. This partially spurred our decision to wait to make an official announcement. I went back to my regular OB who was less than enthusiastic about my demanding to see her before my next scheduled appointment(it wasn’t for another month). But I got in 4 days after my “unveiling ultrasound” only to find a doc whos nonchalance bordered on disinterested. It seemed to me that I was the only one concerned that I would be on hospitalized bed rest at 24 weeks, that I would deliver at 32 weeks, and that this is one of the most dangerous types of twin pregnancy?! I voiced my concerns but felt silly for even asking after how she scoffed them off “a specialist?!…why would you need to see one now!?” Etc etc….I went home and told Scott what had happened, we agreed to give her another chance, after all, I wasn’t a doctor. What did I know?

Throwback ThursdayIn the mean time our name search was on… we slowly realized we had to pick not one or two names….but 4!
top on our list
*Callen(with different spelling)
*Adeon(no not a typo)

16weeks pregnant with ID twin boys

We also scheduled a 3D ultrasound at baby’s debut to get extra pictures(looking back though,its not like we needed it)